There are many techniques to help reduce and manage stress. Talk to your doctor if you want more advice or visit the resource page but here is a list of techniques that can reduce stress and improve your overall health:
- Massage may reduce both depression during pregnancy and the likelihood of preterm birth and/or low birth weight.
- Physical activity may reduce anxiety symptoms, protect against onset of anxiety and depressive disorders and symptoms, and is associated with reduced feelings of distress and enhanced well-being.
- Yoga practices, including physical postures, breathing, and meditation, collectively known as the integrated approach of yoga therapy (IAYT) may reduce preterm birth, low birth weight, and complications including isolated intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR) and pregnancy-induced hypertension (PIH).
- Instructed relaxation therapy focusing on diaphragmatic (deep) breathing may reduce preterm birth and low birth weight.
- Relaxation training may decrease incidence of low birth weight, reduce anxiety, heart rate, and cortisol levels.