Before you decide to get pregnant is the perfect time to stop smoking, however quitting at any time during your pregnancy still has benefits for you and your baby. The earlier you can quit in your pregnancy, the better. Research tells us that quitting before 15 weeks of pregnancy will result in the most health benefits.
If you want to stop smoking but need help, talk to your doctor about your options. There are also many different tools and resources available to help you.
- Your baby will get more oxygen and breathe better after having quit for just 1 day.
- Your baby will be less likely to be born early.
- There will be a better chance the baby will be able to come home from the hospital with you.
- Your baby will be less likely to have bronchitis, asthma, ear infections and ADD.
- You will not be exposing your baby to over 2,000 chemicals found in cigarettes.
- You will be less likely to develop heart disease, stroke, and other smoke related diseases.
- You will have more energy and breathe more easily.
- You will have more money to spend on things for the baby.
- Your clothes, hair and home will smell better.
- Your food will taste better.
- You will feel good for what you have done for your baby.