How much weight gain should you gain while pregnant?
Tips to remember:
- These guidelines are for singleton pregnancies and require your doctor’s judgment. Your individual needs may be different, so please discuss with your health care provider.
- Extra calorie needs are determined by pre-pregnancy weight. Women should never try to lose weight while pregnant.
- 20 percent of women gain more than 40 pounds during pregnancy, which is more than recommended for anyone, regardless of BMI. Talk to your health care provider about how you can stay on track for healthy weight gain.
- March of Dimes. Overweight and obesity during pregnancy, [cited April 2013]. Available from: http://www.marchofdimes.org/pregnancy/overweight-and-obesity-during-pregnancy.aspx
- March of Dimes. Weight gain during pregnancy. 2009
- Institute of Medicine. Report Brief May 2009, Weight Gain During Pregnancy: Reexamining the Guidelines. 2009.
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Pregnancy Weight Gain: American Pregnancy Association.