To make sure that you feel your best, it is important that you eat healthy before you are pregnant and throughout your pregnancy. Enjoying a healthy diet helps improve outcomes for your baby and for you!
Healthy eating has many benefits such as:
- Helping you maintain a healthy weight while you are pregnant. This reduces your risk of complications during pregnancy and when having your baby.
- Reducing the likelihood of some birth defects as well as lowering the chance that your baby is born too early.
- Reducing your risk for developing chronic diseases (e.g. obesity, diabetes and heart disease) after your baby is born.
- Widen E, Siega-Riz AM. Prenatal Nutrition: A practical guide for assessment and counseling. American College of Nurse-Midwives. 2010;55(6): 540-548.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for all Americans, 2010. 7th Edition, Washington, D.C: U.S. Government Printing Office, December 2010.